PhD application is now closed.
All completed applications are examined but meeting the minimum requirement does not guarantee admission. Those that meet the general
requirements of the University and program are assessed by
our Admissions Committee. Admissible files will be circulated to faculty
members based on the information provided by the candidates.
Interviews may be required to complete our assessment
of applicants and to match candidates with potential supervisors.
If the Admissions Committee approves the application, a recommendation
is submitted to the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies (Health Sciences)
for approval. Successful candidates will receive a letter of offer
from the Assistant Registrar of the School of Graduate Studies. All
applicants are expected to respond within the specified time to the
School of Graduate Studies when accepting or declining an offer.
Applicants who cannot be placed will receive notification
from the Chair of the Admissions Committee.
Material sent to support an application cannot be returned.
The following items along with the application fee are required before your online application will be considered complete.
official transcript of academic work completed to date
Please upload scanned copies of transcripts for the application review. Please note that if the application is recommended for admission to the program, original transcripts will be required.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from referees
Important note: Referees will receive the emailed e-reference form from the system after the applicant has submitted the application and paid the application fee.
Two confidential letters of recommendation from referees who are able to comment on previous academic and work experience for the purpose of evaluating the applicant's ability to successfully complete this graduate program are required. Recommendations must be provided directly from the referees. Please note that McMaster University uses the Electronic Referencing System. By entering the email address of your referee through the online application, the system will automatically send an e-Reference request on your behalf. If for some reason you are unable to use the Electronic Referencing System, you can download the Reference form-> here.
three page candidate statement
A three-page candidate statement (single-spaced) that addresses (but is not limited to) the following:
- The applicant's career objectives, including how the HRM Program is relevant and preparation to date (training, publications, research grants or other scholarly work completed.)
- An overview of your research interests, including:
- Topic of interest (what is it and why is it important?)
- Dissertation research plans including specific research questions and methodologic areas you hope to address
- Indicate the field of specialization
3. Identify possible faculty PhD Supervisors (maximum of three)
4. Letters from faculty member(s) indicating willingness to supervise, interactions to date and appropriateness of match, given the applicant’s intended research interests are encouraged.(See HRM faculty listing for research interests)
Please indicate your field of specialization as one of: Clinical Epidemiology, Biostatistics,
Health Services Research, Population & Public Health or Health Technology Assessment or HRM Classic. For more information about the fields, click-> here.
Please upload the three page candidate statement of interest to the online application system.
4. An up to date curriculum vitae
Please upload the up-to-date CV to the online application system.
5. A Declaration of Employment form
Please upload the Declaration of Employment form to the online application system.
score (if applicable)
If English is not your native language, an official copy of your TOEFL score, or other evidence of competency in English is required. A minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 92 (580 on the paper-based TOEFL test or 237 on the computer-based TOEFL test) is needed for the Faculty of Health Sciences. Students taking the IELTS are required to achieve a minimum score of 6.5 with a minimum score of 5.5 in each category.
Additional Information ->here.
Please upload scanned copies for the application review. Please note that if the application is recommended for admission to the program, an original TOEFL will be required.
Factors that Influence Admission
- Quality of applicant's academic record and relevance
to anticipated area of study
- References provided by the applicant
- Availability of a suitable graduate faculty member to supervise
- Suitable funding arrangements
- Interviews with potential supervisors (following screening by
the Admissions Committee)
Deadline for admission in September 2019: November 15, 2018
Application is now closed.
Important note: All documents, including the online application, supporting documents, reference letters and payment of application fee is required by the Nov 15 deadline. Referees will receive the emailed e-reference form from the system after the applicant has submitted the application and paid the application fee.
For specific admissions queries, please email the Admissions Coordinator, Lorraine Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.